More than 10 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders have already confirmed their attendance at the upcoming regional gathering.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said that they also expect Chinese President Xi Jinping to attend, even though he has not yet made a confirmation.
"To my knowledge, not yet, but there are no indications that he will not come," Valte said when asked if President Xi will attend the summit.
"Thus far, their home office has been working with us, kasi may mga advance visits ‘yan, may mga advance teams. They are all represented."
Valte also said the government is not overreacting in its preparations for the APEC and is just working to make the summit orderly and safe for the leaders.
"Hindi lang po kasi ang mga 20 na economic leaders ang kailangan nating i-secure, kailangan din po ang mga delegado, and we want them to have a good experience here in the Philippines," she said, noting that the government wants to replicate what other countries had done when they hosted the APEC in the past.
For instance, when China hosted the APEC summit last year, they managed the traffic well, limited flights to the airport in Beijing, and deployed additional personnel, she said, adding that similar preparations were done in Indonesia, the United States, Japan, and Russia.
The government will impose no-fly zones on November 17, 19, and 20. The no-fly zone will however be lifted on November 18 as all leaders are expected to be in the country by that time.
Valte also asked for public patience, especially those who will be affected by the traffic rerouting. (PCOO News Release)